: an exciting or interesting story especially : a story that is so surprising or unusual that it is difficult to believe. See the full definition for yarn in the English Language Learners Dictionary. yarn.
What is yarn in a sentence?
Yarn is thread used for knitting or making cloth. She still spins the yarn and knits sweaters for her family.
What is yarn and example?
Any fiber, as wool, silk, flax, cotton, nylon, glass, etc., spun into strands for weaving, knitting, or making thread. … Yarn is a strand of threads used for sewing, knitting or weaving, or a tale of almost unbelievable entertainment or adventure. An example of yarn is the material used for weaving a blanket.
What is a yarn phrase?
Spin a yarn is an idiom that may not be as old as you think. To spin a yarn means to tell a story, usually a long, imaginative, colorful and unlikely story. … A yarn is a long story told primarily as a form of entertainment, not as a method of communicating important information.
How do you use yawn in a sentence?
Yawn sentence example
- Dean asked with a yawn as the night caught up with him. …
- Touching a hand to her mouth, she stifled a feigned yawn of boredom. …
- She pretended to stifle a yawn . …
- If you yawn around your friends, you will quickly notice that it was contagious!
How do you use fabric in a sentence?
the underlying structure.
- The fabric is woven on these machines.
- The fabric is very fine or frays easily.
- The fabric is only available in a narrow width.
- The squares of fabric were all sewn neatly together.
- Whatever your colour scheme, there’s a fabric to match.
- Glue the fabric around the window.
Is yarn a slang word?
It means to have a chat, a discussion, generally very informal. Often had among friends, neighbours, associates. Example: I ran into old Suze down the shops, we had a good yarn, she told me all about how her boys have moved away now.
Is a yarn a story?
a tale, especially a long story of adventure or incredible happenings: He spun a yarn that outdid any I had ever heard.
How do I identify yarn?
Smell the yarn as it burns to see if it smells like wood or hair.
- Cotton, linen, hemp, jute, and rayon are all similar. …
- Silk smells sort of similar to charred meat or burning hair.
- Wool and other animal fibers always smell like hair or feathers.
- Acetate smells kind of like paper and vinegar.
What does spin us a yarn mean?
Tell a story, especially a long drawn-out or totally fanciful one, as in This author really knows how to spin a yarn, or Whenever he’s late he spins some yarn about a crisis.
How do you use spin a yarn in a sentence?
1, He could spin a yarn, and you had to take what he said with a pinch of salt. 2, Your sign is known for extraordinary ability to spin a yarn that is so enthralling and believable, no one can stop reading or listening to what you have to say. 3, She listens to here they spin a yarn, 1:00 doesn’t feel uneasiness.
Where did the word yarn come from?
Etymology. The word yarn comes from Middle English, from the Old English gearn, akin to Old High German’s garn, “yarn”, Dutch’s “garen”, Italian’s chordē, “string”, and Sanskrit’s hira, “band”.
What is the yawning Emoji?
A yellow face with eyes closed and mouth wide open covered by a hand. Captured mid-yawn, this may represent having insufficient sleep, or to imply boredom with a person or topic.
How do you use burp in a sentence?
expel gas from the stomach.
- There followed a barely audible burp.
- If you burp a baby you rub its back gently to help air to come out of its stomach.
- It was nearly twelve when Mama began to burp the baby.
- When eating, do not burp or make noise.
- In front of the others can’t burp.
What is the sentence of Yell?
(1) This gave them a chance to yell. (2) You don’t have to yell; I can hear you. (3) She let out a yell when she saw me. (5) Suddenly there was a loud/great yell from the bathroom.